Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Giving Thanks

There have been a million reminders today about giving thanks and I've been so busy this morning that my chance to write anything about it before Thanksgiving is on top of us is fastly slipping away.

In stopping to think about all the things I'm thankful for (the real point of writing about it in the first place) it's surprising how many things come to mind. I, the cold realist who sees all the things that are wrong in the world and feels the overwhelming need to right every single one of them, can actually pick out things - lots of things - in my life and in the world that are so right.

From having three new baby nieces born this fall, to my brand new home with my amazing man, there's a lot to be grateful for this year personally. In our country I'm excited that we have an election coming up where a woman or a black man could become our next president. In our world, I see more openness and hunger for truth on an intellectual and spiritual level than I have ever seen before and it inspires me.

What progress we've made. In a world that seems so dim sometimes and more frustrating than I can even put into words, there are some very bright spots and they're worth remembering, acknowledging and celebrating...today and every day.

Here's hoping you have a moment this week to be reminded of the 'right' things in your world, too.


J.

No comments: